According to the Pareto principle, also known as the 80/20 principle explained that when your eyes were opened:
- 80 percent of traffic jams occur on 20 percent of the roads.
- 80 percent of beer is consumed by 20 percent of drinkers.
- 80 percent of classroom participation comes from 20 percent of students.
- 80 percent of the time you wear 20 percent of your clothes.
- 80 percent of the profits come from only 20 percent of the customers
- 80 percent of problems are generated by 20 percent of the employees.
- 80 percent of sales are generated by 20 percent of the salespeople.
- 80 percent of all decisions can be made on 20 percent of the information.
What an eye opener! It meant that the best 20 percent of activities were sixteen times more productive than the remaining 80 percent. If I wanted to decrease the complexity of my life and increase my productivity, then I needed to focus on my top 20 percent. That day in the classroom I realized two things: I was doing too many things, and the things I was doing were often the wrong things. And that is a recipe for an ineffective life.