Every leader faces tough times and that’s when leaders distinguish themselves and show who they really are. Leading others can be very difficult and can take great courage. Of course, it’s not that way all of the time. About 95 percent of the decisions a CEO makes could be made by a reasonably intelligent high school graduate. What is often required is common sense. But CEOs don’t get paid for those decisions; they get paid for the other 5 percent! Those are the tough calls. Every change, every challenge, and every crisis requires a tough call, and the way those are handled is what separates good leaders from the rest.
How do you know when you’re facing a tough call and need to be at your best as a leader? You’ll know when the decision is marked by these three things: Continue reading “Making The Tough Call”
In order for you to finding the main thing when come to the decision making, here are few questions that you need to consider.
What gives me the greatest return? What is most rewarding? What is required of me? Those were not questions you could always readily answer. Early in a career, the easiest to answer is usually the one concerning requirements. You can work from a job description if you have one. On the other hand, most people don’t start getting a true sense of what give the greatest return for their effort until they reach their thirties—sometimes even later in life. And what is most rewarding to a person often changes during different seasons of life.
As you worked, reflected, and grew, you will slowly begin discovering the answers to those three key questions. This guiding principle was that the purpose of all work is results. If you wanted to accomplish objectives and be productive, you needed to provide forethought, structure, systems, planning, intelligence and honestly. But you need also know that you needed to keep things simple. If you had read a study of thirty-nine midsized companies stating the characteristic that differentiated the successful companies the unsuccessful was simplicity. The companies that are sold fewer products fewer customers, and who worked with fewer suppliers than other companies in the same industry were more profitable. Simple, focused operations brought greater results. As Warren Buffett observes, “The business schools reward difficult, complex behavior more than simple behavior, but simple behavior is more effective.” By striving for simplicity, I could help myself to keep my mind on the main thing.
Continue reading “Finding The Main Thing”
Defining Moments Show Us Who We Really Are
Most days in our lives come and go they are much like all the others and don’t stand out. But there are a few days that are unlike all the others. They do stand out because they give us an opportunity to stand up, be set apart from the rest of the crowd, and seize that moment or to remain sitting with the rest of the crowd and let it pass. These moments which bring for better or worse condition define us and they show us what we are really made of. We often focus on the milestones of life, important events that mark seasons and accomplishments. We happily anticipate a graduation, wedding, or promotion. But some of our defining moments come as a total surprise, often appearing during times of crisis:
• Facing a personal failure
• Taking a stand on an issue
• Experiencing suffering
• Being asked to forgive
• Making an unpleasant choice Continue reading “Strategic Management To Become Better Leader”